Saturday, May 05, 2007

Opera, sunshine and five miles the hard way...

Pretty much sums up my day - oh, except for evening out with M. who never fails to provide adventure of some sort or another...

Difficult as hell to drag myself up to Lincoln Center this afternoon - gorgeous sun and all - but, drag I did and one long subway ride later was happy to be sitting in one of those hard-backed Alice Tully chairs for Tristan and Isolde. Lovely music and inspired projections; I'm always a fan of Bill Viola...particularly struck by one sequence of CU male and female faces immersed in a bowl of perfectly clear water. Almost took a full minute before I realized that they were underwater - not 'til the veins stuck up on their foreheads and the wrinkles to the side of their mouths became more pronounced. A wonderful work of art for Viola's part - different and more engrossing than the usual spectacle Wagner requires. Minimalism meeting maximum symphonic arrangement...

Must admit though, I left before the third act. So there.

It was sunny! C'mon! Plus, I gave my stub to a music student. See!?

Perfect end to a week of theater - Cymbeline, Frost/Nixon...life seems to go on. Doesn't it.